Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Buying Jesus

I like to think of myself as an honest and loyal follower of anything that fortifies my soul. I like routines and consistent sequences; I like to work around the clock and to time myself. If I do not follow my daily routines I feel lost, agitated and irritated, hence I do not visit a lot because once I am in another’s person’s space I cannot impose my lifestyle on them and I become like a hobo and a wandering lost soul.

So I wake up every day at about eight and I automatically say a quick prayer; thanking God for the blue skies, the birds and my family; I then brush my teeth and wait for Creflo Dollor to begin on the Trinity Broadcasting Network, after him I’ll watch Joyce Meyer and after that it’s either Perry Stone or Pastor Rod Parsley. I feel revived as if I have jumped in a cold blue pool filled with the Holy Spirit and with this feeling I flip to my favourite channel Fashion TV- from ten to eleven they showcase men’s fashion which I enjoy and watch with utter and undisturbed concentration. Men’s fashion is simple; it can make cheeky statements without needing too much, with men’s wear it’s all in the detail; the make of the shirt, the cufflink, the pattern on the shirt, or the type of stitching on the pants or leather shoes. I make a mental note of what I like; the black and blue brogues, the simple but classic black and white t-shirt and the always-in-season white shirt.

I think of how amazingly creative the designers are as I sip my extra strong coffee and eat my all protein breakfast (carbs are the devil, at least that’s what the models say). I go through my mental notes again, I really like the black and blue brogues but I can’t afford that quality and make, so I settle on looking for a cheap black and white t-shirt.

 At one o’clock I watch Pastor Hagee, I like this man’s truthfulness in his messages; his booming voice resonates to my soul and I listen to him with great submission but also with eager willingness. At the end of the thirty minute sermon he promotes his own books, CDs and DVDs just like Creflo Dollor, Joyce Meyer and Perry Stone did. I don’t particularly enjoy these promotions; they leave me feeling guilty and inadequate as a Christian. All the books, CDs and DVDs are a must-have in order to lead a “prosperous”, “holy” life. I debate with myself on which ones I should buy and decide on neither- I can’t buy Jesus. I can buy Jean Paul Gaultier, I can buy Dolce and Gabbana, Viktor and Rolf, Karl Lagerfeld, Roberto Cavali or Salvatore Ferragamo but I can’t buy Jesus Christ that is one label that is priceless. He bought us with a priceless substance that surpasses all substances- love.

I am not saying one should not buy Christian self-help books, I’m just saying there is too much to choose from and are they all really necessary? The style of the books are not to my taste, I enjoy story telling and not dictation, so books like William Young’s The Shack are the type of books I would feel compelled to buy. I love Jesus and getting to know Him better is my main aim in life; now I must confess the secular world does invade my relationship with him but it does not overtake or consume it.

At the end of the day I go through my mental notes again: my list is empty, no black and white t-shirt, no brogues and no Joyce Meyer DVDs or books. It’s six o’clock: it’s time to watch the final minutes of the setting sun, drink my strong coffee and listen to my heavenly mix of gospel music. I turn up the volume and imagine Jesus is in the room enjoying the sunset with me. In three hours I will need to take a shower then glare at the stars and thank God for them.

No comments:

Post a Comment